If you are stuck wondering what is the best time to post on Instagram, this guide will show you how to develop a time-based strategy that is based on your personal account!
There are lots of statistics out there that show the best time to post for different days of the week, industries, sectors and overall.
Peak Traffic Trends on Instagram.
Data by Sprout Social shows the best times to post overall are:
- Posting at 5:00 AM CDT from Tuesday to Friday generates some of the highest engagement — people usually check their phones right when they wake up.
- Posting from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM CDT during the weekdays also generates a lot of engagement — people usually check their phones during lunch or when they start to run out of mental energy toward the end of the workday.
- If you want to post on the weekends, post on Saturday around 11:00 AM CDT when people eat brunch or hang out with their friends.
If you are wanting to seriously step up your social media game then a generic approach simply will not do!
It is important to tailor a strategy to your personal account and audience for the best results.
How to Find Your Best Time to Post on Instagram:
There are 2 main ways to find your best time to post on Instagram in 2019. They are:
- Posting in your audiences peak timezones.
- Testing different times and measuring your results.
1. Posting in your audiences peak timezones
When it comes to the best time to post on Instagram, it’s essential to think about the time zones of your Instagram followers. We have a large audience in the United States, yet when we break down our insights via cities the audience is primarily Australian. That is two very different time zones!
To find your optimal posting time for your Instagram account is look at your audience insights. You do need to have an active Instagram Business Account in order to have Instagram insights enabled.
- Simply click on the three lines in the top right-hand menu.
- Click the first option being: “Insights.”
- Navigate to the third tab: +Audience.”
The first screen will show you the audience insights via cities:
As you can see we have quite a diverse international audience based on the top locations via the city. To help us gain more insight on when to post we will also look at the audience insights per country. All we need to do is hit the countries tab.
Now by looking at the Instagram Insights, we can see that our audience is predominantly in the United States.
The last main insight we want to take a look at is the time of day our Followers are most active.
- Under the audience, tab scroll down until you reach the breakdown of followers activity via time of day and days of the week.
As you can see on the below example the data is telling is the best time to post on Instagram for this accounts audience on a Wednesday is 3pm.
Other Factors to consider:
While this method is great for engaging your current audience. What about your prospective audience? What times are they online? For instance, a fitness account would more than likely have a higher rate of traffic flowing to their Instagram account early in the morning over a fashion or blogging account.
This brings us the second method on how to find best time to post on instagram for your account.
2. Experiment with Posting Times and Measure your Progress
I would recommend using this method to experiment on when your prospective audience is online. For instance, you may have a large following in the USA although you want to break into the UK market. Those followers are going to be engaging with Instagram at completely different times of the day.
Familiarise yourself with when your audiences peak may be. For instance, are you trying to engage busy New Yorkers? You want to get them before they get to work. Perhaps on their commute.
- Post 15 minutes prior to when you think your audience may be online.
- Repeat the posting time every day for a week.
- Measure the number of likes and comments you obtained after 24 hours.
- Repeat with an altered time slot. Are you trying to get users on their lunch break, commute, bedtime read? Test out a few different times to see which hooks your desired audience best.
After three weeks measure your results. Perhaps you may need to increase the frequency of your posts to meet multiple audiences in different time zones.
I hope you enjoyed our guide on determining your best time to post on Instagram. If you enjoyed this article make sure you give it a share.
Here are a few more that might interest you:
Looking to grow your account fast? Check out our Instagram Growth Packages here.
Get your free template!
It's time to implement your social media strategy.